I’ve always wanted a Camaro. I know they have a rat-cheese reputation, but I’ve always liked them. I got my 89 Firebird in 1995, the sister car to the Camaro, but it just wasn’t the same. I spent a lot of time and money trying to beef up the 305 TBI motor, but it still wasn’t a 350. (It was probably near an honest 250 hp at the engine… compared to 170 stock… echh.)
I finally had my chance. Brian, a coworker and former bandmate wanted a better year-round car (or truck) and was looking to get out of his lease. Right away I mentioned that I was interested. As of 10:00, Tuesday, December 12, 2000, I own a Camaro.
Specifications & Safety Features
- Acceleration (0-60 mph): 5.3 sec.
- Braking Distance (60-0 mph): 124 ft.
- Roadholding Index: 0.86
- Base Number of Cylinders: 8
- Base Engine Size: 5.7 liters
- Horsepower: 305 hp @ 5200 rpm
- Torque: 335 ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm
- Length: 193.2 in.
- Width: 74.1 in.
- Height: 51.3 in.
- Weight: 3439 lbs.
- Wheelbase: 101.1 in.
- Front Headroom: 37.2 in.
- Rear Headroom: 35.3 in.
- Front Shoulder Room: 57.4 in.
- Rear Shoulder Room: 55.8 in.
- Front Hip Room: 52.8 in.
- Rear Hip Room: 44.4 in.
- Front Leg Room: 43 in.
- Rear Leg Room: 26.8 in.
- Luggage Capacity: 12.9 cu.ft.
- Anti-Lock Brakes: Standard
- De-powered Air Bag: Standard
- Traction Control: Optional
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 16.8 gal.
- EPA Mileage Estimates: (City/Highway)
- Manual: 19 mpg / 28 mpg
- Automatic: 17 mpg / 24 mpg
- Range in Miles: 319 mi. / 470 mi. (city/highway)
- Type: 5.7 Liter LS1 V8 SFI
- Block: Cast Aluminum
- Cylinder Head: Cast Aluminum
- Hydraulic Lifters: Roller
- Bore & Stroke: 3.90 x 3.62
- Redline: 6000 rpm
- Displacement (Liters/CID): 5.67/346
Original Photos and Gumball 3000 Promotional Photos
Performance and Upgrade Plan
* Net Engine HP is the corrected horsepower based on the
aftermarket manufacturer’s HP rating minus 10%. This is to account for
manufacturers’ "over-enthusiastic" performance estimates and HP lost when using components in conjunction.
+ Net RWHP is the approx. horsepower applied to the rear wheel. (Net Engine HP minus ~15%)